New and interesting research* reports that “patients enrolled in hospice care lived longer on the average than similar diagnosed patients who did not choose hospice care.” The research study shows that “hospice’s unique philosophy of care, which addresses physical, psychosocial, spiritual, and emotional aspects of illness and dying, often means that patients live longer by days to months than those who with the same diagnoses do not choose hospice.”
We offer the best possible clinical care with emotional and spiritual support for patients of all ages with a serious or terminal illness. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Palliative (comfort-oriented) care is provided with compassion and respect for the dignity and individuality of each life entrusted to us.
By engaging a motivated, skilled staff which uses a team approach, we offer a choice of services to fit your daily schedule. We stay linked to your Attending Physician. Our VNA Medical Directors are dedicated, experienced physicians, and are always available. They reinforce our link with your physicians by consulting with him or her as we customize your care.
Our VNA Goal: Give comfort to you and peace of mind to your family. At VNA our patients and families come first!
*September 2004, “Journal of Pain and Symptom Management” (Pyenson, FSA, MAA; Connor, Ph.D; Fitch, RN, MA; Kinzbrunner, MD)
JCAHO Medicare Certified
Our interdisciplinary team of health care professionals and volunteers provide a planned program of care and support for our patients and their families.
- Pain Management and Symptom Management
- Skilled nursing care. (Many of our RNs and LPNs are nationally-certified hospice and palliative nurses.)
- Certified Nurse Aides
- Medications related to the hospice diagnosis are provided and paid for by VNA Hospice
- Counseling and education
- Clinical social workers
- Dedicated volunteers
- Pastoral Care and spiritual counseling
- Certified nutritionist
- Home medical equipment and supplies
- Physical, occupational, speech, and other support therapies.
- Respite care
- 24-hour on-call availability (A VNA staff member will always answer the phone.)
- Bereavement follow-up for family members and caregivers
- Care is provided wherever you are: your home, the home of a family member, nursing homes, personal care homes.
VNA Home Health is for patients with any life-limiting illness who would benefit from supportive rather than curative treatment.
VNA Home Health services are available to all regardless of race, age, creed, faith or income level.
The patient’s care is directed by the patient’s own physician.
VNA Home Health handles all billing and paperwork related to Medicare, Medical Assistance, Blue Cross, managed care programs and private insurances.
Hospice professionals are skilled at working with seriously ill patients; we understand your fears and can answer your questions.
Anyone – family member, patient, physician, VNA Home Health Team member – can initiate a referral by calling 383-5180.